Friday 8 February 2013


Key Tips for the Arctic!

So this morning I have been told off for not updating this blog.  Rightly so.  Not that I have been sitting on my backside since the last blog entry, indeed my backside has been subject to squats,  one leg side raises, (courtesy of Kim’s Saturday morning brilliant torture …sorry, core sessions),   lunges,  weighted presses,   and a lot of kicking by certain individuals (you know who you are)  who knew I could do that last 20 minutes of sprinting  when my legs and lungs protested  they couldn’t.  They were right, and their voices shall follow me to the Arctic for those moments when I absolutely can’t…. but know I will have to.

So what have we been doing since the last blog?  Well, between Col and I we have clocked up  tens of thousands of meters swimming,  hundreds of miles running, 100’s of tonnes of weight lifting,  cycling, cross training and pulling tyres in an attempt to kid ourselves into believing  that we are fit .  As we are now 10 days away there’s not much more we can do on the fitness stakes though - it is what it is.  So our attention has moved to kit and mental  preparation and after reading the tips and competences  of Arctic Trekking  I’m still wondering  what I’ve let myself in for.  Top tip for keeping warm “ put duvet on and run……”,    best  of the list though,  “don’t get sh*t on the shovel – you need it to cut water”.  As Confucius  said  What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.” Good advice as there is only one shovel.

Col has been doing a sterling job keeping our facebook page up to date  https://www.facebook.com/ArcticChallenge2013,  and we have both been badgering, cajoling, pleading  and downright bullying anybody we know to sponsor us.  It seems to have worked , and we are extremely grateful for all the donations, and of course the obligatory advice and  helpful comments we have received such as “pack extra toilet rolls and sudocream”, and  “don’t eat yellow snow”.  We will take heed.

Training this weekend on the critical skill of erecting a tent – quickly – and without putting that multi-purpose shovel through the fabric……

No comments:

Post a Comment